Friday, January 24, 2014

Mustache Sugar Cookies


We were given these mustache cookie cutters for Christmas. So I decided to try them out. 

I used a basic Martha Stewart sugar cookie recipe

4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla 

Cream the butter and sugar then add eggs and vanilla, once that's mixed add in the rest of the ingredients.  
Form dough into disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour. 

Preheat oven to 325
On a floured surface roll out the dough. I found that I didn't need to flour the cookie cutters, cut out the cookies, if dough sticks inside the cutter tap the side of it on the counter and the cookie should come out
Flip the cutter over and press down to make the mustache indentations

I didn't want to frost these because I didn't want to lose the texture but I did want to add some color so I decided to use food coloring. 


I only wanted to ridges to have color on them so my first attempt was painting the food coloring on but that was time consuming then I used a shallow bowl and only put a little food coloring in the bottom so it would just get the color on the ridges. 

From there the cookies went on a parchment lined cookie sheet and baked for 12 minutes.








No comments:

Post a Comment