Monday, July 12, 2010

Eating the Compost


At a visit to the farmers market over the weekend I picked up some radishes. We compost at our house but those greens do take up a lot of space in my bag so sometimes I ask the farmers if they will keep the greens (for their compost). So, when purchasing the radishes I asked if they would keep the greens.
"Sure, if you want, but you know you can eat
radish greens" the woman replied
"Really?"
"Just saute them"



So, I kept the greens. I was bit nervous because when handling radish greens I often have a small alergic reaction, my skin gets irritated small red bumps, but curiosity won out. Here's what I tried
1 bunch radish greens (dirt and bugs washed off)
3 cloves garlic
olive oil
salt
I put some oil and garlic in a frying pan, threw in the radish greens and sauteed until thoroughly wilted. They weren't bad. If I'm paying for the greens anyway when I get radishes I may as well eat them too!



No comments:

Post a Comment