Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pickle Jar

About the only thing I remember about reading Ethan Frome in high school was a day spent analyzing an incident involving a broken pickle dish... this creeps back in to my mind from time to time when I think about pickles...

In summer I find myself eating more pickles, craving the salt, that crisp crunch and juicy cucumber. So I decided to get some pickling cucumbers at the farmers market today. I looked up how to make pickles and it is a more involved process than I had anticipated. Spending the afternoon over a stove, boiling things, did not sound appealing in this heat. And, I'll admit, I've never been one for taking the long way to do something if I think there may be a quicker way. For example, when I bake brownies, instead of sifting three times and adding things slowly I throw everything in to the bowl of the mixer together and they always seem to turn out. So I decided there must be an easier way to make pickles, especially since I'm not making them to preserve and keep around, I know I'll be able to eat them within a week. So I tried two varieties with other items I have on hand, in some glass jars I found - one's an old jam jar.


The Basic:
cut pickles in rounds and fill a jar
pour in white vinegar to fill 3/4 of jar
fill rest of jar with water
add lots of salt

A litte Jazz:
cut pickles in spears
fill jar with pickles
add fennel tops
add garlic cloves, cut in half
add fennel seeds
pour in white vinegar to fill 3/4 of jar
fill rest of jar with water
add lots of salt


So, now I'm going to try to be patient, I'm going to try leaving the pickles in the fridge for three days, and then start snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment