Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Latte Ice Cream

I keep thinking about a coffee shop in Manhattan that makes delicious maple lattes with real maple syrup... I thought about experimenting with making one from home but in this weather I don't want hot coffee. One of those things I've been putting off is making homemade ice cream, utilizing my Kitchenaid mixer so I decided to make Maple Latte Ice Cream. I looked up some ice cream recipes to get a basis to come up with my own formula. This made a small batch. I've been keeping the ice cream freezer bowl in the freezer so I didn't have to wait the 15 hours for that to be ready to use.

2 cups nonfat milk
1/2 cup half and half
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup fresh brewed coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla

  1. in a pot on the stove bring milk and half and half to just before boiling, stirring periodically
  2. add maple syrup and salt, stirring constantly, remove from heat just before it boils
  3. separate eggs, beat the yolks together until smooth
  4. whisk yolks into milk mixture, put back on the stove and heat until it just begins to boil
  5. remove from heat, whisk in vanilla and coffee
  6. put in the fridge for 6 hours to cool
  7. once cool, set up ice cream maker, pour the milk mixture in and mix on stir for 20 minutes, if it is not solid enough put ice cream in a freezer safe container and put in freezer to solidify

No comments:

Post a Comment